Shelley & Fabian's Blog Page

Shelley & Fabian's Blog Page

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

No matter the color of my skin, I walk unashamed, but I walk in two worlds …

Have you ever felt as if you’ve walked in two worlds? For many it could mean the difference of going between work and home each day. Leaving the business of the office behind to find the comfort and sanctity of ones own home after a long day. Home can be the place where your soul finds comfort from the weary world outside.

I walk in two worlds with each beat of my heart; the very blood within me carries the history of two great nations, the Northern Cheyenne of Montana and the Dutch people of the Netherlands.
The Cheyenne, Tsitsistas; meaning the beautiful people, were the buffalo hunters of the Great Plains. We were celebrated for our fearless warriors, and an ordered government. The ancestors lived in harmony with each other, the Cheyenne women were virtuous and the children were treasured by all.
They respected Mother Earth from days of old and remain spiritually connected to her today. The people give thanks to Ma‘heo’o, the Creator of all things. We were also taught to preserve and protect the sacred places including the holy mountain of Bear Butte.
Our skin is the color of red earth and when we set our feet upon the dirt we are reminded of the place from whence we first came.
The Spanish who came to this land of ours in the early 1500’s tried to impose the religion of Christianity and Catholicism on the Cheyenne among other tribes as well. The invaders did not understand us or our love for the land and Ma‘heo’o, the Great Spirit whom we served. They called us heathens and tried to strip us completely of the life we had known and loved.
Today, the Cheyenne are many in numbers and we continue to hold onto oral tradition and to our homelands. Our oppressors could not take away our pride, religion and language as they had hoped. We are proud of our resistance but strive to live in harmony with all people.

The Dutch are the people of Holland, the Netherlands. The word “Holland” means “Woodland” in the Old Dutch (diets) language. There are some theories that it is a Viking name. The Vikings often visited this part of Europe until the 10th century.
The ancestors built strongholds around their cities to prevent the invasion of strange nobles and armies from coming in. They tried to protect themselves but Julius Caesar conquered present-day Netherlands in the first century. Roman settlements were built in Utrecht and Maastricht in 48 AD and 50 AD respectively. With the decline of the Roman Empire, the control of the country passed to the Franks. Later it became part of the Holy Roman Empire.
These, the Dutch are a resourceful people. They are surrounded by the beautiful North Sea and fishing is a traditional industry. The ocean and also farming provide an abundance and variety of delicious foods. As a low-lying country the Netherlands has engaged in a long history of struggle against the sea. Windmills, Hydraulic engineering, have played a huge part in protection against flooding and reclamation of land. The houses are constructed on concrete pontoons and anchored to the land. As half of the country's land is below sea-level, with some areas prone to flooding, this has provided a solution for the provision of living space.
Despite the many challenges my relatives have faced throughout time, they remain strong and proud. Their oppressors were many but today they continue to sing their customary songs and dancing plays a big part in their lives. They love to cook traditional dishes and their love for growing flowers is ever constant. The Dutch are known for their flowers and thousands of visitors flock to see them. The Netherlands produce 60 percent of the worlds commercially grown flowers.

So you see, I walk in two worlds. With pride, I walk unashamed, for the Creators plan is set in motion when we fulfill our purpose for living. I remember that two halves make a whole so the Dutch and the Cheyenne can live together in complete wholeness inside of me.

I’m still discovering and finding my place in this world and I hope to be a guiding light to those who seek healing that they might find their destiny. I know that people are just people and I’ve learned that no matter where we come from, that we all suffer comparable trials, sorrows and celebrate similar victories and joys in our lives. No matter the color of our skin,  life's mirror reminds us that we are more than just flesh and bone but soul and spirit.

We all walk in two worlds in some way or another and life can be beautiful when we love ourselves and our neighbor with no conditions or prejudice.




I Walk in Two Worlds
How can I tell you what my heart contains?
Only those who walk this path know the pain
When I look in the mirror it’s clear what I see
Flesh and bone, a human being

Chorus
I walk in two worlds,
I’ve been hurt by both.
And I’ve learned that people are just people
No matter the color of their skin.

There’s only One who can say what I’m worth
He is the one who destined my birth
So don’t try and judge what you don’t understand
I’m proud of my blood and know who I am

Chorus
I walk in two worlds,
I’ve been hurt by both.
And I’ve learned that people are just people
No matter the color of their skin.
I walk unashamed, but I walk in two worlds.

How can I tell you what my heart contains?
Only those who walk this path know the pain
When I look in the mirror it’s clear what I see
Flesh and bone, a human being.

Written by Shelley Morningsong ©








2 comments:

  1. A beautiful way to express what's inside the heart and soul of so many of us... Thank you Shelley. Sending healing vibes to Fabian and blessings to both of you. Nathalie, Granada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just beautiful..not sure i am doing this correct..don't know much about blogs :)...but your words and music are so inspiring. thank you. ~carol

    ReplyDelete