Shelley & Fabian's Blog Page

Shelley & Fabian's Blog Page

Monday, November 5, 2012

Invisible People

When I was writing songs for my new album “Full Circle” I decided that I wanted to write a song about our homeless brothers and sisters here in America. My heart has been so burdened over the past few years to see the many earthly disasters and economic failures that have left people without their homes. There are people all over this nation of ours who, through no fault of their own, have found themselves and their children without anywhere to turn.

The home I live in is not elaborate but it is warm and comfortable. I can turn on the heat or air conditioner when I need to, run some water, watch television or work on my computer.   My husband and I are average middle class wage earners, not too many frills here but compared to some we may seem rich.  When I lay my head down on my pillow tonight to go to sleep I also remember that there are anywhere from 700,000 to 2 million homeless men, women and children that will have no where to lay there heads. No fluffy pillow, no comfort in their sleep, no warmth of a heater or a roof over their heads to keep the cold and rain away. These are people just like you and me, they need our prayers, love and provision so that they can stand on their feet again. These are the invisible people.

I find that many times we are so accustomed to seeing them that they almost become invisible to our eyes. I have talked with many on the streets and it is surprising that some of the homeless people I’ve gotten to know had at one time a wonderful and successful life. They’ve had nice homes, careers and family around them

According to The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs about 1/3 of our adult homeless population are veterans and they suffer from mental illness, alcohol and/or substance abuse or other disorders. Can you imagine? Our men and women who fought for this country’s freedom, living on the streets? This is such a tragedy!

Homelessness is not a respecter of persons; our homeless have come from all walks of life. I strive to practice gratefulness everyday and I always encourage those around me to do the same. You never know what a day can bring and sometimes we forget that our lives can change in a moment, forever.  This is the land of plenty and I am thankful every day that I live in the United States of America! No one should ever have to go to sleep hungry and cold because we are very rich in our resources here. I only hope that we will all have eyes to see and ears to hear the cries of those in need. May we always practice generosity and compassion for those who are less fortunate then ourselves so that they will no longer be invisible to anyone. 

2 comments:

  1. Your words are so true, and in recent weeks I have seen the same need in France and in the UK where I live. I am grateful for the things my family share, and like most folk we try to help when we can.your song is a reminder, which people do need. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your site here, moving on and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete